Which Baby is Afraid of the Dark?

Fear - just the mention of it makes you think of your fears am I right? It can take the face of anything or anyone, from a rat, to a cockroach, to clowns, even water; fear is limitless and in extreme cases, can disrupt daily lives. It is documented that most fears stems from childhood experiences, for me, the fear of dogs came about when I was chased by mongrels when I was walking back from primary school. Thankfully I was not bitten but the psychological fear still remains. When I see a dog now, my heart beats a little faster and I can literally feel sweat running down my forehead. Will it go away? I really don't know as I really love dogs but at the back of my mind, the what ifs jump up...

This brings me to the main focus of my posting. My daughter, Stephanie Tia is really a girl with no fear. She runs, falls, jumps, pet animals with glee; I always have to keep a look out for her in case she bites off more than she can chew. However, if you ask her to take an item in a dark room, she stops in her tracks and will not ever go into that room alone. No matter how much me and my wife try and coax her or tell her that we can see her, she will not budge. This has got me sort of worried, is this just a phase that will pass or will it remain with her till adulthood.
In a way, it's good that we as human beings have fear as I feel it's nature's way of telling us, "Hey, do you REALLY want to jump off that cliff with just a rope holding your ankles?!", but letting it take control of you is a no go for me. As a Christian, I rest in the hope of Christ that He will drive away all fear and that's what me and my wife are instilling in our daughter as well.
So tell me readers, is this fear in Stephanie Tia something to get worked up about? Let me know in the comments section.

creative commons licensed (BY-ND) flickr photo by Wendy Longo photography: http://flickr.com/photos/wtlphotos/1010219236

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

From Cuddles to Courtside: Baby Steps into the Sports Arena

From Diaper Speedster to Running Superstar: My Baby's Incredible Journey

A rose (or a Baby) by any other name would smell just as sweet